Call us for advice or to book: 0141 221 0442

Home Report exemptions

Most properties require a Home Report before they are put on the market. However, there are a few exceptions.

Is my property exempt from Home Report legislation?

The current legislation states that a Home Report is not required for the following properties:

  • Brand new homes sold “off-plan” or recently completed (new build properties)
  • Newly converted premises where the property converted into a new home has never been used in its converted state
  • Right to Buy homes
  • Seasonal and holiday accommodation which, legally, can only be lived in for up to 11 months of the year. This does not include second homes or holiday cottages that could be used all year
  • A portfolio of residential properties. These are a group of homes which will be sold in one transaction to one “commercial” buyer and not as separate homes
  • “Mixed Sales” where a home is sold as part of a business such as a farmhouse which is part of a working farm or a flat above a shop which is sold with the shop
  • Dual-use of a dwelling house where the home is, or forms part of, a property most recently used for both residential and non-residential purposes, such as a commercial studio where the owner also lives in the home
  • Unsafe properties which are obviously dangerous for people to live in
  • Properties to be demolished which have the consents needed for demolition and consents obtained for redevelopment
  • Private sales where the property has not been advertised, family sales, sales between friends etc.

Note: Even if a property is exempt from Home Report legislation, you may still need a Mortgage Valuation and/or an Energy Report.
If you’re unsure, please contact us for advice.